PROFESSIONAL DENTAL EXAMS & CLEANINGS IN WATERLOO
Dental Exams Near You
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumours, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions to plan any treatment accordingly.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. This is a full head and neck exam
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease (bone and gum disease)
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, implants, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning Near You
Professional dental cleanings (hygiene) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease which leads to bone loss. Once we lose bone we do not get it back!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling. This can also help improve the shade of the teeth.