TEETH WHITENING IN WATERLOO
Tooth whitening (or bleaching) near you is a simple, non-invasive dental treatment used to change the color of natural tooth enamel and is an ideal way to enhance the beauty of your smile.
Because having whiter teeth has now become the number one aesthetic concern of most patients, there are a number of ways to whiten teeth. The most popular method is using a home tooth whitening system that will whiten teeth dramatically. Since tooth whitening only works on natural tooth enamel, it is important to evaluate replacement of any old fillings, crowns, etc. Replacement of any restorations will be done after bleaching so they will match the newly bleached teeth.
Tooth whitening is not permanent. A touch-up maybe needed every several years, and more often if you smoke, drink coffee, tea, or wine.
Reasons for teeth whitening near you:
- Fluorosis (excessive fluoridation during tooth development).
- Normal wear of outer tooth layer.
- Stained teeth due to medications (tetracycline, etc.).
- Yellow, brown stained teeth.
What does teeth whitening involve?
This type of tooth whitening usually requires two visits. At the first appointment, impressions (molds) will be made of your teeth to fabricate custom, clear plastic, trays.
At your second appointment, you will try on the trays for proper fit, and adjustments will be made if necessary. The trays are worn with special whitening solution either twice a day for 30 minutes or overnight for a couple of weeks depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening. It is normal to experience tooth sensitivity during the time you are whitening your teeth, but it will subside shortly after you have stopped bleaching.
You will receive care instructions for your teeth and trays, and be encouraged to visit your dentist regularly to help maintain a beautiful, healthy, white smile.
Benefits of teeth whitening
The benefits that come with teeth whitening near you can be extensive. Teeth whitening can make you look younger. It’s an inexpensive way to improve your smile compared to a cosmetic dentistry procedure like veneers or crowns. Teeth whitening in Waterloo can also have a lot of positive mental effects. It can provide you with more confidence and a whiter, brighter smile can attract good attention to oneself. Whitening your teeth can also force you into taking care of your teeth more. To maintain a healthy white smile, it requires certain aftercare tasks which are always important in keeping your teeth strong, healthy, and white!
Teeth whitening aftercare tips
It is important to be diligent after teeth whitening to support and preserve your new white smile. Some aftercare suggestions for the first 24 hours after teeth whitening include:
- avoiding hard foods or chewing gum as to not rub or abrade the surface of your teeth,
- staying well hydrated with water, no alcohol based drinks, and no hot beverages such as coffee and tea,
- avoiding tobacco products especially cigarettes which contain nicotine,
- avoiding eating any foods that would stain a white shirt as they can cause your new bright smile to fade prematurely,
- keeping your whitened smile protected with a dental retainer (if applicable) for the first 24 hours.
- avoid hard foods such as nuts and chips which may hurt your weakened teeth after bleaching
- use fluoridated toothpaste and mouthwash as fluoride helps strengthen enamel making it difficult for stains to re-enter pores on the teeth surface